WISHH National Elf Service Appeal returns for 2021
A charity appeal to ensure hospital patients could still enjoy Christmas despite the Covid pandemic is being repeated this year after being billed a roaring success in 2020.
Generous members of the Hull and East Riding community rallied together to support the WISHH National Elf Service Appeal, which ensured Covid-safe gifts could be bought for babies, children and the elderly spending time in hospital over Christmas.
Now, with Covid still posing a risk to the vulnerable and seriously ill, WISHH – the Hull Hospitals charity – will be doing it all over again, and we’re asking for your help!
We would like to invite members of our community and local businesses to get involved once more, helping us to spread the festive cheer to patients across Hull Royal Infirmary and Castle Hill Hospital. Your support will enable us to buy gifts for children and medical elderly patients, or be used towards providing distraction items, toys and games as part of the new family accommodation that WISHH are enhancing as part of our ‘By Your Side Appeal’
Lisa Whitton, WISHH Charity Manager said, “Covid-19 challenged us all to think differently last year, and we were determined to still bring the Christmas spirit to patients cared for across Hull Hospitals in a safe way. We were delighted with the response we received from our community, businesses and sports clubs who enabled us to buy gifts for children looked cared for in the Children’s Emergency Department, Eye Hospital, Anlaby Suite, Ward 130 and Paediatric High Dependency Unit, Acorn Ward and other specialist areas across our hospitals.
“We also provided gifts for 120 elderly patients, which included slippers, toiletries, arts and crafts, reminiscence gifts for dementia patients and other items including DAB radios for wards to help make patients stay in hospital more comfortable. We felt this was incredibly important to do, not only because of restricted visiting rules; it’s the little things that make such a difference. Some older patients may not receive gifts or have visitors if family live far away, and we wanted them to have something to open on Christmas day.
Beverley Geary, Chief Nurse said, “We are still managing Covid-19 on a daily basis, and with some seriously ill patients in our care, we have to do all we can to protect them and minimise the risk.
“By supporting the National Elf Service appeal, your money will still go to the people who need a bit of extra Christmas cheer this year – perhaps because they’re unwell or unable to receive visitors – and our charity WISHH will take the strain out of buying and delivering gifts for you. It’s a great way of ensuring local clubs, businesses and other members of the community can still show they’re thinking of others this Christmas, while enabling us to keep our patients safe at the same time.”
To help us make this Christmas special and to get involved, drop us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on 01482 6222999 and we will send you a fundraising pack full of festive fun ideas to get involved in.
Donations can be made online via our JustGiving page, BACS (call us or email) or by cheque made payable to WISHH Charity and posted to us at, WISHH Charity National Elf Service Appeal, WISHH Office, First Floor Administration Block, Castle Hill Hospital, Castle Road, Cottingham, HU16 5JQ.
Covid is still with us, and we would like to be able to brighten the hospital experience for both young and old .
Don’t delay and get involved today. Here’s how your kind donations can help make a difference in 2021:
- £5 will provide a toiletry set for a teenager/elderly patient
- £10 will provide a patient with a toy or a pair of slippers for older patients
- £15 will provide a patient with a mindfulness colouring book and pencil crayons or reminiscence gift
- £20 will fund an Art/Crafts Bag – A take-home gift to encourage activities post discharge
- £25 will provide a teddy bear and wellbeing pack for a vulnerable child who undergoes medical examination within the hospital
- £100 – £500 will provide sensory items for our Eye Hospital for example bubble tubes and sensory boards
- £250+ will provide a Santa sack of games and gifts for children on wards and for those patients with dementia
- £250+ will provide a range of games and distraction items for our ‘By Your Side Appeal’ for use by families and siblings of babies/children who will stay in the new Family Accommodation at Hull Royal Infirmary
- £1,000+ will enhance playroom learning toys and reminiscence areas on our wards for patients now and in future years.
Businesses who would like to support this appeal, please get in touch with Lisa Whitton on 01482 622299/07827 881766 or email email@example.com